History of Rockport


Bins and chutes for loading lake freighters, Rockport, Michigan.
The Great Lakes Stone and Lime Company of Rockport in northern Alpena County began operation in 1913 and provided rock for building and paving materials.

July 1, 1923 Construction application approved for 12.10 mi. Alpena to Kelley Island Lime & Transport Co. on the shore of Lake Huron.

 

1962 - Announcement early in the year was made that the Marquette Cement Company of Chicago, Illinois, had acquired 3900 acres of limestone and shale, bearing land a few miles north of Alpena in Alpena and Presque Isle counties. The property includes the Rockport facility with quarry and harbor once operated by the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company.